Navigation

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Huron River Flat Rock Michigan, PFAS


Being surrounded by so much water, yet so many can't get clean drinkable water. Free food is for the taking in the streams and water. Except, you can't eat it, as everything is poisoned.  What is the master plan for that? Where is the forethought? And what the heck are you the cities and states going to do about it? 
This hurts my heart more than anything. Foraging and living off the land will be a thing of the past. 

We chose to do a dry paved trail today and wanted to check out the water level at Huron river.
I grew up in this park. Riding my bike down the unpaved area's as this new paved stuff is all new to me. The old pipe that us children crossed wasn't safe but we didn't know any better! The park has made a ton of improvements since then. I love going here to see the growth.  Sadly you can't eat the fish anymore. Yet, everyone still fishes. Do they not care? Is the sign fake? What is PFAS anyway?

Below are the photos of the great hike, for your viewing pleasure. At the bottom, I'll be venting and talking more about the alarming info about PFAS. 






PFAS is a toxic chemical that is linked to a ton of health problems created by man.  It includes a lot of other letters like pfoa, pfos, Genx and other chemicals. I think they just group all toxic chemicals with polyfluoroalkyl substances. <-- lots of mumbo jumbo that I can't say or know about. Time for school again.  In case you want to learn more here is the EPA.gov site that talks about it. 

The messed up thing about these toxic chemicals is they do not break down and can accumulate instead moving on. They were made in the 1940s. I think some of these are no longer created here in the USA, it's just getting more larger businesses on board to not want to use these.
Even though they are not created here, however, that doesn't stop imported products like carpet and clothing, plastics and paper and rubber and packaging and well just about everything these days. Oddly the main source is firefighting foams. And when firefighters practice they use this foam. And then it gets into the air, soil, and water. Yes, even drinking water. It's awesome we have the stuff to put out fires and practice with... but at what cost?  These chemicals do not die. And I know this seems like some crazy lady's opinion, and it is. But did they find a way to not bury barrels of toxic chemicals and just spray us humans so we slowly die and have no clue? And no, I do not know who they are. Just a crazy thought/opinion.  A great way for population control. It's a crazy idea. Why, since they are studied, would one allow something that doesn't die to live in the first place? Moreover, once you found out how harmful they are.

You can find PFAS not only in just about everything from dirt to plastics to drinking water. Yes, check your cities drinking water. Not that Flint wasn't a huge warning to do that anyway.  My uncle worked for the water department and stated that the pipes underground need to be replaced every 50-70 years. I ask the older folks have your pipes been replaced? Water is the most valuable resource on our planet and we are poisoning it due to greed and selfishness of wants and conveniences.

I love my gardening and I love to garden. Now I'm more freaked out about it because you can get it in low levels through poor soil. And I'm guilty, I use a ton of products that have PFAS in them. Aw, now I see why I'm a little off my cracker. I'm poisoned. (sorry that's a bad joke) but who knows. We all have this in us, just at what level?

Now, remember this is a forever toxic chemical. This means if you boil your water. you will just increase the number of toxins. So boiling the water will not work. The bad stuff will stay and the water will boil off. Umm, I wonder if you boil something completely dry if it would show the chemicals? Less water, more toxic... How would we live? In 100 years will water even be drinkable?  Humans are full of water. Will that be the end of humans?

They say the effects related to health and PFOA and PFOS are issues with the immune system and thyroid issues possibly cancer. And most of our drinking water at least around me is checked out to be safe. if you have a well you will have to get your water tested.

Here is another thing. They say it's okay to swim in, and then follow it up with much is not know about repeated exposure to skin. So what if in10 years we find out there is a new rash that comes from the rivers or PFAS exposure?

So if you're at a river and you see this white foam. RUN! and please call someone to clean it up  As the PFAS does group up in foam. (Not all foam is bad) Normal river foam is smelly and has color to it. The pretty white stuff. So don't eat the foam either, keep pets and if you can wildlife away.

I can talk about this stuff all day long I'm so passionate about it. My heart hurts that humans could treat earth this way. Yes, I'm an old hippy but still don't bite the hand that feeds you and most of us have without even knowing it.

Learn more about what the Huron River Water Council is doing here. https://www.hrwc.org/our-watershed/threats/pfas-and-the-huron-river/

Be mindful. Be Aware. And be nice or leave!

1 comment:

  1. Pril - I read this last week and as I said I was not in Chrome browser so did not want to post as "Anonymous" (sounds shady that way). I remember reading about Huroc Park - this is the same or different? Also as to the PFAS, I was at Lake Erie Metropark last year and there were huge signs everywhere that said you should not eat the fish and people were still standing on the overlook and fishing and out in their boats - I watched the people on the overlook take the fish off the hook and put it into a bucket, so they were going to eat it ... I would not, as bad the mercury contamination. I told a couple of guys about it and they looked at me like I was crazy and I had butted in.

    ReplyDelete