Navigation

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Lakeshore Park / Novi Tree Farm

 Hello, you can tell spring is sort of here. Lack of desire to go to work. And more hiking because it's my way of having cabin fever. Not that I don't brave the elements, it's just really nice when you don't have to. 

I will miss my winter face-shield and my warm fuzzy hats.  At least I have my purple face-shield for the summer. I look like such a punk don't I? 

Saturday we ended up driving out to NOVI. We wanted to check out REI and see if there were any deals on items for our trip. We are going to backpack Canyonlands at the end of May! So many cool items they have. And ended up getting a new bag. so now I have a 20L, 45L and the 65L the big one is set up to be a bear bag. With the bear-proof container so I can strap it to a tree when in bear land. so I'm really happy I picked up the 45L for a 3-day trip that should be all I need. Yet there is no water out there so most of the weight will be water weight. so by the end of day 3, the pack should be light and easy to climb around with. Also went to a different store I can't remember at the moment but ended up with 2 new hiking outfits. Yes, I have my zip off pants. Two pair and at a great deal. 

Oh-oh-oh k enough about my shopping spree. Let's talk outdoors. Since we were out that way we chose to check out Novi Tree farm / Lakeshore Park..  got to give it up to the mountain bikers. they have the BEST trails to walk on. I tend to walk them more now because you never know when a tree branch will take a biker out. So I do my part and help pick up random things on trails. twigs that move rocks that move that are big. and just place them off the trail.  If I'm walking on a bike trail it's the least I can do, right...

Typical plan, get to trailhead, take photo of trail. Most parks in the city are not ones you can get lost in. However, it is easier to get turned around and add more miles onto your hikes. So ALWAYS know where you could be. And snap a photo of the map. I love it when park systems offer maps in the trails as well as trail heads of course. And why do they not have trash can on trails? So frustrating looking at peoples laziness and disrespect to the planet that provides us food.  but hey I guess the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you doesn't ring true anymore. Rather sad.





From the trail head you get a bit of a stretch  until you can choose your own adventure. with the biking trail on the outside of the main foot path you can make shift a choose your own adventure. Here was the first split off.

They request that bikers do not ride when it's muddy as the tires leave large ruts in the ground making it hard for it to be flat and can really hurt new riders. I have rode a bike or two on trail. Isn't easy!! 


I hear you frogs just can't see you. The pine forest that is set back at this area was amazing. Not sure but tree farm/ seems right wording for this park. 
Even when you look up it's like the tree's are telling you messages. and don't mind the bat house on the left on the next photo.



Earth will reclaim. She always does. If you cut a tree that wants to live down it will grow branches. Funny this info is very usefull when gardening. I never understood why or how. but you can control growth of tree's and plants to help you build or create what you might need it for. 
This tree. I see bench or future tree house.. just needs a lot more age!!  


I have a strong connection to fungi,, I love the way it grows how it look and i love learning about all the different types. With spring coming up i'll be sure to do a mushroom post!!


the above photo is of the spot.  it's a cool spot with a row or two of tree's and the nature sounds this is where i will sit down be quite and record nature sounds for better night sleep! 

thanks for reading! Get out side!!!


1 comment:

  1. I know I saw this before as mentioned the REI post today when I responded to your comment - I think what happened is I saw it when I commented on the last post, but didn't know if it had gone "live" so didn't comment on it. I didn't know there was something to hide in from bears - OMG. You really like the rugged trails Pril!

    ReplyDelete