Navigation

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

holliday nature preserve 2nd attempt...



Short recap.. my first time going here it wouldn't stop raining. We ended up parking at the Hix Park. We had the gear and rocked it out anyway.  It wasn't bad, but no signage-- nothing great to keep you from getting lost. They have some signage, but it's low to the ground and has no rhyme or reason to it. This map might offer some info that, backed up with Google Maps, you might not go in more than two circles with. I state this because even my partners and I could get lost. We haven't, mind you, but we sort of walk around until we find something that rings true or keep walking till we find it. We did get a bit turned around in the Hix Park area, but ended up walking the right way. We didn't go in circles and made it back to our car just fine in the rain.  We did cover some ground, too. 

Never had this map though-- see below. My second time going to this park, it wasn't even this section. We found this area and wanted to check it out. That's how I learned that Holliday Nature Preserve is a linage park. it follows the water. So cool and this spot did have a sign (see image below) SoIi took a close up to the area we hiked without a map. It's still confusing. 


 




This past weekend we went back there. Cold, and no new snow yet, but you can tell the trails have been used. I went to park at the Hix parking and wouldn't you know it... the one time I meet my partners up there it's closed for winter. WTH???  So I went to the other parking... YEAH it's open


Nice slick Wooden paths for us to walk on. Great when it's flooded not so great when it's slippery. needless to say we stuck with the snowy path.

this bridge with only one side and an icy topping. made for a lot of holding on.. as bad as it looks it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Who made this bridge why is it so narrow. Thank you! 

Humans, Always ready to leave there mark.  In the tree's we see ya watching with one eye. I love art parks just not spray paint on tree's.. Interesting to say the least!

The forested area is nice some tall tree's with age and some nice smells of fall still linger.

This is what happens to places that once had people to help out. Volunteers and the passion dies out.  Things in the woods get's forgotten. This park is wonderful they still put on events and have times when you can help out. check their website for that info (top of page)

In the woods tucked back is this little mile marker. No idea what the word means until. Had to look it up. I did have some info about these trails from someone I spoke with as this place has a home in my book.  But Tonquish is the name of the creek that the trail follows. 

I'll Leave you with this image.. It's a big tree two tree's with a big hole in the middle.I  love how imperfect nature is. Helps me cope with my imperfections!!

1 comment:

  1. So I came here to comment on the post I got today (yesterday's) and found this one before I got the e-mail. :) I like that you included the link to this park Pril, because I had never heard of it and was about to Google "Holliday Nature Preserve" so you saved me doing that. Still snow here - ugh and hearing we might get a little on Friday morning. It looks nice and I was like you wondering why the bridge is so narrow?? You are braver than me though crossing it with the ice. I've been skittish about the ice this year - we had more ice than snow and last year, a fellow blogger up in Traverse City fell on some glare ice under the snow walking to her mailbox (in a rural area) and broke her wrist and had to have pins put in ... yup, don't want to be a statistic like T.J.

    ReplyDelete