Navigation

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Oaks Opening Metropark in Toledo


I posted on Facebook over the last week, asking for more hiking trails. So many trails locally and so little time. Ugh.  Thanks to Linda for the reminder that local places are around for that little bit of wooded area I need.  Linda is a great blogger who writes about her wondering in and around the area. I hope to meet up with her this summer to check out some other areas with her like Point Mouliee (what I call 5-mile island or make out point). Yeah the kid in me will never die. wanna go to make out point? lol Just now I go to look at waterfowl and other birds and to walk and to be outside and not be stuck indoors. 

We ended up picking a non-local trail still a little over an hour away. In Toledo Ohio. And I must say, signage. Construction on trail all noted and posted in clear easy ways to view. This trail we did called the ridge trail had some detours due to them removing some tree's that are not for that area. As it doesn't help some of the "dunes" (yeah didn't see those next time). 



There are a lot of creeks and bridges and cool dividers when you're on the horse trails. All trails seem to be selected for the activity yet hikers can go on all of them. I don't understand why bikers need to yield to hikers when hikers can stop easier than a bike. But, hey, not my land, not my rules... just as a hiker it's easier for me to step aside IF I know you're coming. 


We parked where the "you are here" sign is. And we followed the purple trail that goes below the parking area. It turns blue.. got in 6 miles that day! And beat the rain! YIPPYYYY! Saw pileated woodpecker, Eastern bluebird and other birds that I can't remember. Nothing uncommon yet. I didn't have my good camera with me so enjoy the phone shots. 

So it's not as cold as it has been we are walking and we get to the open wooded area with the Swan Creek



You can tell it's still a bit frozen and that day some must have melted, as it was above freezing but not too warm. Once that wind started to kick it started to get cold. We started the main loop here at this spot below with a sweet bridge. We went the other way after I got some photos and then met back up with the bridge at the end of our walk. It worked out great!  Minus me wishing for my big camera. 





I couldn't get enough of this bridge it was soo cool to me. And nothing under it, or if it was it was frozen. I didn't check. We kept on hiking, we ran into a few people. A couple runners, a few dog walkers, and random dudes just hiking. Everyone was friendly and said hi, minus the other ladies walking and talking together. I'm sure they didn't want to break the conversation up for a hello. but really that is rude get off my trail. All 3 of us said hi to you and you snubbed us. We dont have time for that on trails. It's just a hello. Not like we are going to chat it up. Like we did the other people when we started. 
I didn't mentioned that. The pileated woodpecker. We heard it right when we crossed the park road. We stopped onthe trail and started looking. I noted there are people on the trail. Personally, we like to be alone in the woods but people can be cool I just like to be alone in the wild.  Anyway, they had their camera's and hiking stick not like I won't say hello and point out the pileated woodpecker. They saw it and the tree it lived in. At the base of a pine tree. WOW, I never have seen a woodpecker's home at the base of a living tree. Normally the holes are on the dead trees, giving you that nice hollow drumming. We chatted for 15 seconds and they stated the trail isn't muddy. a bit shocked since they say it floods. They were 100% correct. No mud, hardly any snow or ice either. This hike was a "fall hike" even the smells. Does that mean spring is around the corner? Who knows! 

So we kept going, hiking and hiking, and wow looks like an off-trail. It's not on the map but people have walked it. Let's check it out. ( we are crazy like that) More so when the bush is low--fewer ticks this way.  We found a cool break spot where we stopped for a drink and to sit and see the birds.

Eastern Bluebird really is that what I see flying around, the song is so sweet. I can't remember it but the blue I see when you spread your wings to fly. Followed by some chickadees' songs. It was blissful.  We sat on this log and enjoyed the sounds of nature, the slight breeze that started to pick up and took it all in. Talk about getting energy. The tree's and wooded areas give it 100% 


We did the silver trail aka Ridge trail. And this trail of course has a detour. No one is around let's hop the "danger do not cross" plastic ribbon that is wrapped around those trees blocking our trail. 
Yeah, we didn't do that. We followed the stupid detour. Figured we could get back on and keep it moving. 

We found the trail this time, no sign stating it was closed, so we walked. Found silver trail, walked it and ended up on the other side of where we didn't cross. Really. Why would only one part of the thing be blocked? And what is dangerous.. we were confused. Figured it out that it was most likely due to the heavy equipment they will or have used to remove the trees. But they are not working right now. so What is so dangerous? Nature is always dangerous. Heck, everything is dangerous. Just be smart about it. I get it not everyone has the level of attentiveness as others. so I do get it.. but man why am I insulted by this? I am. no one should tell me nature is dangerous when there is so much chaos in the world today. It's the main reason I seek the woods. to be away from the crazy expectations of other humans.


I think these are the trees being removed.  Nice tall Pine trees.  Looks like it was an old tree farm the way the trees are in single rows. yet neglected, well not now. lol 
Just amazing to me that just one section was blocked off and we got to get the other side.. We should of just hopped over the plastic ribbon that said danger danger danger. There was no freaking danger.  because no one was working.  


Just look at how nice that trail is. You can tell they run a 4-wheeler back here at some point for maintenance or something. 



I told you how the trails are split with the horses, right? Well, here is the fence that splits them. You don't see the icons of what way to go but hikers on the left horses on the right. Not sure why I think this is the coolest thing ever on a trail. (trash cans too)  But really anyone scared of horses this trail is for you. You can wait for the horse to pass with the safety of the fence.  Again I'm not sure why this excites me so much. But it does. Crosswinds Marsh could do something like this but they have flooding issues so it won't happen anytime soon. unless the airport wants to fork over more money! 

Dude.. just look at that above photo.  just breath taking views of these trees that are more than 5 years old. Just wow. Sucks that most of these will be gone due to them not being native and them wanting to protect the area. 

Walkers to the left, horses to the right. if you look close you may see the sign on the post first one. 

I don't remember where this was, I just like the evergreen in the background next to the bridge and the frozen mucky-muck on the left. This park has a lot of cool little areas.  with bridges. 3 that I counted on the one trail.  but this one below this text is the one I love most!


Tucked back in the woods over frozen water and dead leaves that feed the soil for future trees to drop their leaves. A man-made bridge to walk over so you don't interrupt these processes. Seeing green when it's sort of too cold helps you feel that everything is and will be okay! 



The above image is over the main swan creek. Tt offers two benches and wonderful views. I can't wait to see this forest lush with beauty of greens poking out of the ground. 

Thanks for reading... 
With all the love in the world 
GET YOURSELF OUTSIDE! 


1 comment:

  1. First off, I want to thank you for the mention Pril. It is appreciated. We will meet up this Summer - maybe where you suggest since I was there in the boonies and you know alternate ways to go. Let everything come to life and get dryer (hopefully). My friend Ann Marie and her husband used to go fishing there (catch-and-release).

    There are likely no big excursions for either of us this Saturday as it is going to be very soggy - sigh! I hope 2019 is not as soggy every weekend as it was in 2018.

    I enjoyed your trek - six miles and doesn't it feel good ... six miles when you are enjoying yourself in nature and taking it all in with your eyes, and your camera, goes by pretty quickly doesn't it?


    This seemed like a nice Park and I have a fellow blogger who writes a blog about cooking, and lives in Ohio and has mentioned in the past when I do Lake Erie Metropark posts, that their Metroparks are very similar. I love the wooden bridge walkway - I always make sure I take that route at Lake Erie Metropark and in fact have a post I still have to do from last Saturday ... (I've been busy at work and not here til late all week, plus worked Sunday night.) They have several of the wooden bridges there and I like the overlooks - sometimes the egrets hangs out in the cove by the wooden bridge, right near the water on the Cherry Island Trail. A little warmer and less soggy Mother Nature if you could please ... it's surprising you did not get a muddy trail here where you said the other hikers said it was dry.

    I do like your tagline:

    Thanks for reading...
    With all the love in the world
    GET YOURSELF OUTSIDE!

    ReplyDelete