Navigation

Friday, March 22, 2019

Mudd Island paved path

The time change is always fun.. more daylight after work!! So with this time change comes warm weather. This excites me. This year I'm going to try to hit up more paved paths. Sometimes I don't feel like dealing with the mud. So I did the next best thing after work one day this week. I went to a park next to Mudd Island / John Dingell Park. Mainly to take some photos. And to look at the birds. I heard there was a Merganser duck out there and the Eagles.

So, my partner and I parked by the rowing club building and walked down to the old docks. The first thing we see was the trash. Why people WHY. And this brings me to a great cause Trash fishing!!! On Facebook Ecorse is doing this I think on May 11th this year with a contest all you need is a boat and the desire to learn something new. I want to do this so we will see if they will let us do the creeks instead so we can use our kayaks or just wade in the water. If I may add, if everyone carries a plastic bag. we can all pick up after those lazy people I know there has been a time or two something fell out of my pocket so it's all in good fun and to help other trail-goers. I have been trying to build that habit of picking up other trash more times than not.  just nature can be distracting... join me and carry a bag... 


We saw the ice built up and the water looked clear and clean. It's nice out and other people had the same idea, a few people were enjoying the same activities. How cool.  We see the eagles and I hear the cackle of one. The noise itself reminds me of my backpacking trips in BWCA. I feel like connected to these birds. Did you know a group of eagles is called a convocation? 


 I look around the old docks to see the ducks...  Mostly all Mallards with their mates.



Some playing on logs but with this backdrop in a city with eagles hiding in those trees, one can't take for granted the beauty that is right here in southeast Michigan.  Now hoping they do something with this island so we can enjoy it hike it and have a cool place to view nature at.






 Ducks are everywhere! I find their colors so impressive along with their ability to stand the cold. Standing on ice all day while swimming in ice water, how do you do it ducks?

We started to walk back over as I take more photos of what you see just 30 more of each. A song thing came into my head as I sung out fly like an eagle... fly yeah. It flew .. did it hear me? He ended up landing on the ice on round 2 of his flight. And it only happened once I sang the words a few more times and no flight. At least not right off the bat.  We started to walk away and the other one took off and landed right next to the other one on the ice in the middle of the Detroit River.


We took the same path back taking more photos. Look it's a seagull and it's eating a fish. no fighting with other birds umm wonder why?  


We got a few more photos of the bird dragging this fish around and trying to eat it before we headed back to the end of the walk. On the way, I noticed a few ducks way out at the end of the island.  Stayed with it visually until it went into the darker spot so I could better focus.  And there he is, the Merganser! S/He looks a lot like a loon from a far.  



While I'm in awe over the ducks an eagle flies just over my head. I wasn't ready for or this shot would of  been of the head and not the tail. Either way I'm please at the moment you can see the white tail.


The sun is still out, lets go see if we can find more ducks at the dock in Wyandotte. 
We didn't find more ducks we did find a large sheet of ice with seagulls eating fish. And here we that they were trash birds. Free Sushi for them!



Thanks for reading... 
With all the love in the world 
GET YOURSELF OUTSIDE! 






1 comment:

  1. Pril - what beautiful pics you have in this post ... did you use the DSLR or your camera phone this time? I know you said you wanted to use the DSLR more. Unbelievably since you were here at this park, I was there yesterday and not a single piece of ice, even though it has been cold. And there is usually so much activity (waterfowl wise) and I saw a pair of geese, a pair of swans and one canvasback duck - that was it.
    Oh - no eagles, so you really lucked out seeing the eagles and that seagull with the big fish - wow! - Linda

    ReplyDelete